Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Mitten activity


Here is the finished mitten(yes I was interrupting snacking).....


and the animals!

I love the story The Mitten by Jan Brett. She has a wonderful website www.janbrett.com were I got the images of the animals from the story. We colored all of our animals and then I quickly cut them out(if you have older preschoolers they can do this themselves) Just like Nicki from the book we made our own mitten, decorated it, and taped it to our bag. Then we practiced retelling the story.

I did this over 2 days and I told the story many different ways(I just read it, told it as a flannel board story, used the mitten bags the kids made).

It is amazing how well young children can retell stories and it helps with them learning to comprehend what they are reading or what is being read to them!!!

No comments: